AuthorMessage
Cynan
Knight Captain
Knight Captain

Number of posts : 387
Weapons used : sword, sheild, spear, polearm
Registration date : 2007-06-26

PostSubject: noble titles   Mon May 03, 2010 4:42 pm

I was looking at a random document that talks about noble titles and how they are addressed:

it is mostly for england and a little late period, but i don't think it would have changed that much

also i think princes and princesses are highness

I have also heard exellency for barons counts etc.... it would be so in the SCa at least....

Knight Captain
Knight Captain

Number of posts : 387
Weapons used : sword, sheild, spear, polearm
Registration date : 2007-06-26

PostSubject: Re: noble titles   Mon May 03, 2010 4:42 pm

A guide to rank, title, and forms of address.

● In England, a king or queen is addressed as “your Highness” or “your Grace.” The title “your Majesty”—a more glorious title—tends to be used only on the Continent at present, for instance in Spain and France. But don’t worry—neither King Henry nor Queen Elizabeth will be upset if you slip up and call them by the more honorable title “your Majesty”!

● A cardinal, bishop, duke, or duchess is addressed as “your Grace.”

● Other nobles—such as marquesses, countesses, earls, barons, baronesses, etc.—are addressed as “your Lordship” or “your Ladyship,” or “my lord” or “my lady.”

● Knights are addressed as “Sir [first name],” e.g., Sir Edward for Sir Edward Brampton, or Sir James for Sir James Tyrell. A knight’s wife or widow is addressed as “Dame [first name],” e.g., Dame Alice for Dame Alice Rainsford.

● Ambassadors are addressed by whatever honorific to which their personal rank entitles them (“my lord,” “your Grace,” etc.).

● Merchants are addressed as “Master [last name],” if they hold no other title, e.g., Master Wilkinson. A merchant’s wife would be “Mistress [last name].”

● The illegitimate offspring of a king or nobleman admittedly pose something of a problem for etiquette. Officially, they have no titles of their own, not even “Master” or “Mistress.” One has to call them something, however, so in practice a king’s illegitimate son or daughter usually is called by the courtesy title of “lord” or “lady,” e.g., “Lord Arthur” or “Lady Grace.” A noble’s illegitimate offspring can be called by the courtesy title “Master [first name]” or “Mistress [first name],” e.g., Mistress Helen. But because these are informal, courtesy titles, technically there is no offense committed if the person is addressed by a first name, without any title at all.

Remember, “sir” or “madam” is a handy catch-all for anybody and everybody, from a merchant up to and including the king and queen. It is generally best, however, to address the king or queen as “your Highness” or “your Grace” the first time you are introduced. “Sir” or “madam” will be fine thereafter, especially for extended conversation, in which constant “your Highness-ing” could get tedious. The etiquette of titles has not yet reached the more complex point to which it will evolve in later centuries.

The final version of the cast list will include forms of address appropriate for each character.

Knight
Knight

Number of posts : 211
Weapons used : Lance et Flamberge.
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: noble titles   Mon May 03, 2010 7:12 pm

If I'm not mistaken ambassadors are called : "Your Excellency (then the title and name)".

We must not forgot that a monarchy could follow a different patern: Imperial or royal.

In consequance, for a king you can say: "His Royal Highness." and for an Emperor: His Imperial Highness.".

In the past, the Imperial title was more prestigious than a royal one. In the rennaissance, Charles V was king and ruler of meny lands but he was always refered as Holy Roman Emperor before anything else so the distinction is important

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: noble titles   

Back to top Go down

noble titles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1